irssi-devel + irssiproxy broken

Tim Hammerquist penryu at penryu.org
Tue Jul 25 03:09:35 UTC 2006

Shaun Amott wrote:
> Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> > To the owner of the irssi-devel port, is this a known issue?  Is
> > there a fix or work-around?
>
> I haven't heard of this problem; but then, I don't use the proxy
> module.  There doesn't seem to be anything relevant in the irssi
> bugs database, either.
>
> There may be a newer CVS snapshot available. However, I haven't
> checked for a while (the changes are usually trivial, and not worth
> an upgrade).  The server I get the snapshots from seems to be
> inaccessible at the moment, so I can't check right now.
>
> I will look into this when the server re-appears.
>
> In the meantime, have you tried the standard release version
> (irc/irssi)?

The irssiproxy I'm referring to is not a standard IRC proxy.
Irssiproxy is described in the "Irssi proxy" section at:

  http://irssi.org/documentation/startup#c10

and

  http://irssi.org/documentation/proxy

Relevant parts of my config file are pasted at bottom.

In my current tree, it looks like irc/irssi just redirects to
irc/irssi-devel.  But I tried it and got the same results.

I also tried grabbing the source tarball directly from the irssi.org
site and building that, both with and without the --enable-ipv6 and
got the same results. (This happens with both the default proxy bind
address and overriding it with 127.0.0.1.)

I'm running 6.1-STABLE with a current and upgraded ports tree.

I ran an strace on the irssi session and looked for the bind() calls.
Here's what I found:

  bind(4, {sa_family=AF_UNSPEC,
    sa_data="\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\1\0\0\0\364\305"}, 16) = 0

The call seems to be successful, but I don't know enough about bind()
infer any more than that.  It's the sa_family value that seems
unusual.

That didn't look right.  I ran an strace on the same irssi with the
same config on the system that does work (Debian/testing) and got:

  bind(4, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(3777),
    sin_addr=inet_addr("127.0.0.1")}, 16) = 0

HTH,
Tim Hammerquist

##### begin excerpt from ~/.irssi/config #####

servers = (
  {
    address = "server.net";
    chatnet = "bitnet";
    port = "6667";
    autoconnect = "yes";
  }
);

chatnets = {
  bitnet = {
    type = "IRC";
    max_kicks = "4";
    max_msgs = "3";
    max_modes = "3";
    max_whois = "30";
  };
};

settings = {
  proxy = {
    irssiproxy_password = "foobar";
    irssiproxy_ports = "bitnet=3777";
    irssiproxy_bind = "127.0.0.1";
  };
};

##### end excerpt from ~/.irssi/config #####