conflicting dependency

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Thu Jul 20 21:43:02 UTC 2006

On Thursday 20 July 2006 01:30, John E Hein wrote:
> Let's say there are two ports A & B.
> They both provide libfoo.so.1 (and so register CONFLICTS with each other).
>
> Now port C wants to use libfoo (and doesn't care if it gets it
> from A or B).
>
> What does port C list in it's LIB_DEPENDS?
>
> What if it lists A and someone installs B... does A get registered as
> the dependency when C is installed even though A is not installed?
>
> This must have been solved already... I just don't see where.

Many of these problems have been avoided by abstracting the dependency into
the portsystem itself. For example USE_OPENLDAP=yes delegates the choice of
LDAP  version to ports system.

In most cases this is just a way of having a  global default, but some are a
bit more sophisticated. For example USE_GCC=3.4+ specifies version 3.4 or
above of gcc; and there is some logic to determine whether this can be
satisfied from the base system, or existing installed ports, before a new
dependency is added.