New portmaster version available for testing/feedback

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jul 17 19:05:18 UTC 2006

Hans Lambermont wrote:
> While testing the new version I ran into a -o problem, so it's not
> related to the 10 improvements, but here it is :
>
> I started with this situation :
>
> # pkg_info | grep avahi
> avahi-0.6.10_3      Service discovery on a local network
>
> # pkg_info -R avahi-0.6.10_3
> Required by:
> vlc-0.8.5_2
>
> # pkg_info | grep howl
> howl-1.0.0_1        Zeroconf/Bonjour(tm) implementation
>
> # pkg_info -R howl-1.0.0_1
> Required by:
> gimp-2.2.11,1
> kde-3.5.2
> planner-0.13_3
>
> Avahi should replace howl (UPGRADING entry 20060429)
>
> # portmaster -o net/avahi howl
> ===>  Installing for avahi-0.6.11_1
> ===>  Checking if net/avahi already installed
> ===>   An older version of net/avahi is already installed (avahi-0.6.10_3)
> Stop in /usr/ports/net/avahi.

I just uploaded a version that has what should be a fix for this, can you
give it a try? And thanks for catching this, you're right, it's an oversight
on my part.

>> 2. Add -L mode, which generates the same list as -l, but also checks
>> for updated versions of the installed ports.
>
> Small question : don't you think its better to merge the two lines ?

Well, I don't, but you obviously do. :)  Let me think about it, doing what
you suggest makes the code more complicated, but if I can find a simple way
to do it, I'll think about it. FYI, the other reason I like this format (and
added tabs to another message that prints in -v mode) is that it is very
visually distinct, and does not run the risk of getting missed in a quick scan.

> I'll continue testing now.

Thanks!

Doug