Portupgrade confused about editors/emacs

Mike Jakubik mikej at rogers.com
Fri Jan 6 04:33:52 PST 2006

Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
> Mike Jakubik wrote:
>> If you are using portupgrade-2.0.1 then know that its broken, and
>> cant deal with moved ports well. The issue has been brought up many
>> times, but it doesn't seem like anything is being done about it. A
>> continuing trend for freebsd it seems.
>
> I think that's a little harsh for a port that has been updated three
> times this week. Indeed, the last commit message shows that the
> maintainer (CC'ed) was trying to fix the emacs ordering issue. Perhaps
> he missed something.

Its not harsh, its reality. If you are going to contribute, don't
contribute broken code. If its broken, fix it. If you cant fix it, back
it out until its ready. I have been using freebsd since 2.x and i can
tell you that the quality of freebsd is slowly declining, more and more
broken code is being committed, and its not being address properly. A
perfect example of this is the recent RCng commits to 6-STABLE. The
ports are clearly not ready for this, yet its been committed and left.
Now many ports refuse to work. This clearly breaks POLA.