please check your ports, pre-install vs pre-su-install

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Wed Feb 15 05:14:11 PST 2006

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 02:04:09PM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Luigi Rizzo <rizzo at icir.org> wrote:
> > The issue, as far as i can tell, is that we have two pre-install
> > targets, one run before and one after the credentials switch,
> > and the question was whether there is a real need to have both,
> > or just the latter suffices.
> >
> > My position was that probably one can consider the pre-no-su-install
> > step as part of the 'build' target, but maybe i am missing something ?
>
> An example of a pre-install target which needs root credentials and which
> doesn't belong into the build target is "add user FOO" (you need to be root

or the way more common "mkdir something" in a system's directory.
We all agree that this is a very common case.

> An example of a pre-install target which doesn't needs root credentials is a
> target which gathers some information which the install script needs. Since

this is a lot more questionable - there is no clear reason why you
could not do this in pre-su-install.

anyways, my initial point was to make maintainers aware of the
pre-su-install target and check that their own ports use this
feature (and install-as-used) properly.

bye
luigi