please check your ports, pre-install vs pre-su-install

Wed Feb 15 05:04:17 PST 2006

Luigi Rizzo <rizzo at icir.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 11:01:49AM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> Luigi Rizzo <rizzo at icir.org> wrote:
>>
>> > or that you consider the two targets redundant and just default
>> > to one (pre-install with additional credential switch) should be enough ?
>> > I may agree with the latter.
>>
>> I don't. Try to test a port on one of the FreeBSD machines (on an
>> architecture you don't have yourself). You aren't root there.
>
> alex, i don't understand your point.

Somehow I was under the impression, that someone may want to make the
credential switch non-optional (remove or break the INSTALL_AS_USER
feature).

> The issue, as far as i can tell, is that we have two pre-install
> targets, one run before and one after the credentials switch,
> and the question was whether there is a real need to have both,
> or just the latter suffices.
>
> My position was that probably one can consider the pre-no-su-install
> step as part of the 'build' target, but maybe i am missing something ?

An example of a pre-install target which needs root credentials and which
doesn't belong into the build target is "add user FOO" (you need to be root
to do that, and it changes the "environment" (I'm not talking about the
shell ENV)).

An example of a pre-install target which doesn't needs root credentials is a
target which gathers some information which the install script needs. Since
we have a reinstall target, and because reinstall can be done on a different
host (NFS share), this shouldn't be done in the build target.

I don't know if this fits into the way those targets are currently used, but
it's how I understand them without having used them.

Bye,
Alexander.

Bad cafeteria food landed all the sysadmins in the hospital.