print/acroread7 on amd64

Alexander Leidinger netchild at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 8 23:12:56 PST 2006

"Julian H. Stacey" <jhs at flat.berklix.net> wrote:

> Several Things: (& as this is a general answer ti's applicable to other
> 	 new folk who may care to read on)

In the general case I agree, but in this specific case I have to add some
comments...

> 2) mail `grep MAINTAINER
> /pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/print/acroread7`
> 	rather than mailing the list
>   that's trevor at FreeBSD.org who I added to the CC

Trevor is not very responsive. Have a look at the PR's which are assigned to
Trevor and how long there's absolutely no trace of action from his side.

Not mailing the maintainer (by intend or not) *in this case* was right. I
even think I will play devil's advocate and give back some of Trevor's ports
(at least those with an open PR without feedback from Trevor) back to ports at .
A maintainer timeout of ~5 months justifies this.

Hey Trevor, this is a "please speak up" for you!

> 4) Cruise the source of a previous distribvution, eg gtk2
>   looking for URLs for wherever they store their current stuff.

Doesn't help in this case, it's a bug in acroread7 and/or bsd.port.mk
(depending on your POV). The suggestion in another mail to just install
linux-gtk2 by hand is the work-around which has to be used here.

Bye,
Alexander.

Daemon escaped from pentagram