print/acroread7 on amd64

Julian H. Stacey jhs at flat.berklix.net
Wed Feb 8 12:44:04 PST 2006

Daniel Valencia wrote:
> hello
>
>  print/acroread7 fails to build in my amd64 system... the problem is that it can't seem to find the following file:
>
>  gtk2-2.4.14-4.fc3.3.amd64.rpm
>

>  It seems to have tried dozens of different places, and it finally gave up.  Afterwards, I updated the ports tree, tried again, and I get the same output.   Is there anything I can do to get it running without resorting to the linux binaries?

Several Things: (& as this is a general answer ti's applicable to other
	 new folk who may care to read on)

1) Don't cross post ie
	cc: freebsd-ports at freebsd.org , freebsd-amd64 at freebsd.org
   (as list charter states it's deprecated)
   so I dropped freebsd-amd64 at freebsd.org from CC for you.
2) mail `grep MAINTAINER /pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/print/acroread7`
	rather than mailing the list
   that's trevor at FreeBSD.org who I added to the CC
3) Use any web search engine eg google
	(but I see that doesn't work in this rare case)
   Works a treat though if one is looking for obscure old distfiles
   (eg I have a laptop here that won't upgrade beyond 5.1,
   & I found a load of distfiles that fetch failed on with google)
4) Cruise the source of a previous distribvution, eg gtk2
   looking for URLs for wherever they store their current stuff.

--
Julian Stacey.  Consultant Unix Net & Sys. Eng., Munich.  http://berklix.com
Mail in Ascii, HTML=spam.     Ihr Rauch = meine allergischen Kopfschmerzen.