support for DESTDIR: security/openssh-portable

John E Hein jhein at timing.com
Thu Aug 10 17:55:50 UTC 2006

Brooks Davis wrote at 09:05 -0500 on Aug 10, 2006:
 > My inclination would be something like:
 >
 > 	PKG_INSTALL_TEMP=`mktemp ${DESTDIR}/tmp/pkg_install` && \
 > 	    (${CAT} ${PKG_INSTALL} > ${PKG_INSTALL_TEMP}; \
 > 	     ${SH} ${PKG_INSTALL_TEMP}; \
 > 	     ${RM} ${PKG_INSTALL_TEMP})

I would just put PKG_INSTALL_TEMP in WRKDIR and not worry about mktemp
& rm.  I do something similar in my local tree for a pkg-install that
is slightly different when run from the 'install' target than the
one installed in PKG_DBDIR.

 > I think we should ideally introduce a feature to allow ports to
 > automatically run pkg-install and stuff the code in bsd.port.mk so
 > ports don't have to know about DESTDIR in this case.

Yes.  That'd be nice.

 > Actually, ports where pkg-install and the pre/post-install targets
 > duplicate code (often slightly differently) drive me nuts so I'd
 > prefer a NO_AUTOPKGINSTALL, but that would take some real work so a
 > positive flag is probably better initially.

Agreed.  That duplication is definitely a candidate for cleanup.