support for DESTDIR: security/openssh-portable

John E Hein jhein at timing.com
Thu Aug 10 18:10:23 UTC 2006

John E Hein wrote at 11:55 -0600 on Aug 10, 2006:
 > Brooks Davis wrote at 09:05 -0500 on Aug 10, 2006:
 >  > I think we should ideally introduce a feature to allow ports to
 >  > automatically run pkg-install and stuff the code in bsd.port.mk so
 >  > ports don't have to know about DESTDIR in this case.
 >
 > Yes.  That'd be nice.

Clarifying 'nice'...

As you know, many custom install targets do:

${INSTALL_PROGRAM} foo ${PREFIX}/bin

Those should change to

${INSTALL_PROGRAM} foo ${DESTDIR}${PREFIX}/bin

or the shorthand:

${INSTALL_PROGRAM} foo ${TARGETDIR}/bin

So those ports need to know about DESTDIR anyway.

But I can't think of any reason offhand not to have the pkg-install
scripts run in the DESTDIR chroot so they wouldn't have to know about
DESTDIR.

And standardizing (in bsd.port.mk) how pkg-install is run from custom
*install targets would make the task of getting ports properly DESTDIR
compliant much easier.