portscout - new distfile scanner

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Mon Apr 3 20:01:01 UTC 2006

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 14:05:32 -0500, Shaun Amott <shaun at inerd.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> As I mentioned a few days ago, I've been working on a system for
> checking for new ports distfiles. Someone pointed out that there is
> already a script which does this - however, it seems to be out of
> service.
>
> My initial intent was to create a generic script for personal use, but
> it has rapidly expanded into something which spiders the entire tree,
> and uses a full-scale relational database.
>
> The script - called "portscout" - uses a more sophisticated set of tests
> to determine if a new distfile is available. It still has a few rough
> edges, but it's nearly ready for day-to-day operation.
>
> I have done a test run, for anyone who might be interested:
>
>     http://beta.inerd.com/portscout/
>
> I'm prepared to continue running this as a service if there is enough
> interest; otherwise, I will either run it for parts of the tree, or
> release it for personal use.
>
> Feedback is welcome. In particular, if you spot any updates portscout
> missed.

Very nice, it would be nice if it is sort in order of email (ABCs), and
there is a bug that I can't find in BUGS. Example:

http://beta.inerd.com/portscout/mezz@freebsd.org.html
Port			Current	New
gnome-clipboard-daemon	1.0	2.0

I couldn't find any 2.0 for gnome-clipboard-daemon, not even in google.

http://members.chello.nl/~h.lai/gnome-clipboard-daemon/

Cheers,
Mezz

FreeBSD GNOME Team