[TEST CASE] Distributing KDE and GNOME dists via BitTorrent

Raphael H. Becker rabe at p-i-n.com
Wed Sep 28 05:25:45 PDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 07:01:19AM -0300, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 07:35:12AM +0200, Raphael H. Becker wrote:
>
> > > 	This could be the beginning of a new official distribution
> > > medium. Please, help out by seeding for as long as possible. Pass
> > > the word around, we want a nice try so grab what you want.
> >
> > Another nice "medium" would be CVS (KDE, Gnome, Mozilla, wine, ... )
> > instead of downloading tarballs :)
>
> 	Do not forget that CVS is good for text not binary. So
> binary packages (even source tar.gz) are good candidates not to mention
> that CVS scares a lot of people off and it's just another option.

ehm, what I meant was not to download full distfiles (tons of bytes) for
every single firefox-security-fix or minor update, but to have a local
sourcetree of such heavy projects with public CVS (pserv, ... ) and use
them (with predefined CVS-tags or releases) instead of pre-packaged
tarballs (distfiles).

Disadvantage would be a lack of security (same like WITHOUT_CHECKSUM on
distfiles). But if you have the choice ...

Working with distfiles is just for extract them temporary into a work
directory, applying some patches against it and do the predefined rest of
the work (configure, make, packaging, etc ... )

Having (permanent) local and CVS checked out sources and just copying
them into the (temporary) work would save a lot of traffic if a
GNOME/KDE/Mozilla/Wine/whatever Update is in the ports.

Instead of downloading a new distfile the port might trigger a CVS
checkout to a predefined tag or date. Virtually the sources should be
the same every time (but not bit-identical like a tarball).

> 	The FreeBSD ports system is already available through CVSup
> and through the ports system one can automagically fetch any of the
> necessary files.

I guess I just know this.

Regards
Raphael Becker