[TEST CASE] Distributing KDE and GNOME dists via BitTorrent

Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira lioux at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 28 03:03:40 PDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 07:35:12AM +0200, Raphael H. Becker wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 09:19:51PM -0300, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:
> > 	"These are a few BitTorrent .torrent files for demonstrating
> > that distribution of both KDE and GNOME distfiles through BitTorrent
> > is easy. Packages should be the next logical step. :)"
>
> Keep in mind, not everyone has unlimited access to the internet, Torrent
> can just be an alternative.

	Not at all. Just as we have sources available in CDs, through
FTP, WWW, CVS, rsync and other systems... this could be an additional medium.
This is just a proposal. This is not an official FreeBSD sanctioned test.
I and a group of enthusiasts are trying to see how distribution through
BitTorrent would behave.

	Any small amount of upload bandwidth helps and for downloaders
BitTorrent perform fairly (if not a lot better) than standard FTP/WWW
protocols. I might be wrong. :) That's why are conducting this trial.

> > 	This could be the beginning of a new official distribution
> > medium. Please, help out by seeding for as long as possible. Pass
> > the word around, we want a nice try so grab what you want.
>
> Another nice "medium" would be CVS (KDE, Gnome, Mozilla, wine, ... )
> instead of downloading tarballs :)

	Do not forget that CVS is good for text not binary. So
binary packages (even source tar.gz) are good candidates not to mention
that CVS scares a lot of people off and it's just another option.

	The FreeBSD ports system is already available through CVSup
and through the ports system one can automagically fetch any of the
necessary files.

	Regards,

--
Mario S F Ferreira - DF - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
feature, n: a documented bug | bug, n: an undocumented feature