How do I enable freenx/nxserver?

dewey hylton freenx at deweyonline.com
Sun Sep 25 20:26:38 PDT 2005

> Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:01:28 -0500
> From: Ryan Rempel <rgrempel at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: How do I enable freenx/nxserver?
> To: dewey hylton <freenx at deweyonline.com>
> Cc: Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <freebsd.nospam at mekanix.dk>,
> 	freebsd-ports at freebsd.org
>
> On 9/23/05, dewey hylton <freenx at deweyonline.com> wrote:
> >
> > Quoting Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <freebsd.nospam at mekanix.dk>:

> > package
> > > or
> > >
> > > Installed through ports (actually portinstall with the -P switch). The
> > > version
> > > is 0.4.4.
> >
> > i don't see anything in the code that should give your results; i'll setup
> > another test box and install via packages to see if there are any
> > differences.
> > and of course if i locate the problem i'll submit an update.
>
>  Just to add another data point, I'm seeing exactly the same issue on my own
> FreeBSD 5.4 setup. I haven't spent much time troubeshooting, but it looked
> as though the UID and GID paramter for some of the pw invocations wasn't
> been set to anything -- I suppose I should have tried specifying them as
> arguments to nxsetup.

a bugfix has been submitted to update the official ports tree:

sorry it took so long; i'm on a two-week holiday and am doing this work via
laptop in a hotel room :/

if you don't have the technical knowledge/ability to apply diffs (such as found
in the bug report above) and can't wait for the official ports tree to be
updated, you can get around the nxsetup problem by supplying both --uid and
--gid parameters during setup. for example:

/usr/X11R6/NX/bin/nxsetup --install --setup-nomachine-key \
   --clean --uid 5500 --gid 5500

thanks for all the reports.