cvs commit: ports/x11-wm/fvwm2-devel Makefile pkg-plist ports/x11-wm/fvwm2-devel/files patch-configure

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Thu Sep 15 09:18:09 PDT 2005

On Thursday, 15. September 2005 17:57, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> [redirected to -ports, this is not cvs-all anymore]
>
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 05:36:55PM +0200, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> > Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > > Add BATCH=yes to /etc/make.conf along with WITH_FOO.
> >
> > Which could have other sideeffects then just preventing from parsing
> > OPTIONS.
>
> It does? I thought it just set defaults in case of OPTIONS.

Well, it doesn't really do much more than that. Some ports want user
interaction and instead try some default action if BATCH is set. There's also
the variant where a port could insist on user interaction by setting
IS_INTERACTIVE, then defining BATCH would skip this port altogether. The
first variety is pretty rare and I cannot remember any port of the second
right now.

Also, setting BATCH does not disable parsing OPTIONS, it just disables the
dialog.

All in all, I don't think making an extra switch that just influences OPTIONs
would be a good idea. If setting BATCH causes trouble with a particular
(non-OPTIONS) port, that port should be looked at instead.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org