[SUGGEST] Reform eclipse and eclipse related ports

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Mon Oct 17 15:27:10 PDT 2005

On Monday 17 October 2005 15:05,  the author Scot Hetzel contributed to the
dialogue on-
 Re: [SUGGEST] Reform eclipse and eclipse related ports:

>On 10/17/05, Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser at sigpipe.cz> wrote:
>>    Wes said: "I have to resort to 'make search'" which presumably means
>>    he'd prefer to just ls /usr/ports/$emacs_category; while 'make
>>    search' is a bearable interface (FMPOV), you can't beat a ls.
>>
>>    Hey, what about materialized virtual categories? A bunch of
>>    symlinks, and everyone's happy. Or is that too much for CVS?
>
>It would probably be too much for CVS to handle, instead someone could
>modify bsd.port.mk to create the virtual category directories and then
>symbolicly link the ports into these categories.
>
>The following could be added to bsd.port.mk
>
>virtualport:
>.for CATEGORY in ${CATEGORIES}
>.if not exist ${PORTSDIR}/${CATEGORY}
>    mkdir ${PORTSDIR}/${CATEGORY}
>.endif
>.if not exist ${PORTSDIR}/${CATEGORY}/${PORTNAME}
>   ln -s ${.CURDIR} ${PORTSDIR}/${CATEGORY}/${PORTNAME}
>.endif
>.endfor
>
>which would add the link for a specific port.  The we would need to
>add a virtualports target (bsd.subdir.mk?) that would decend thru all
>the ports creating all the symbolic links (similar to the "make
>readmes" target used in /usr/ports/ ).
>
>Also there would need to be another target that would remove all the
>symbolic links, that way you could re-create them without worrying
>about removed symbolic links pointing to non-existant ports.
>
>NOTE: Non of this code has been tested. If you want this feature, work
>on improving the code and submitting it as a patch to the PR database
>for Ports Managers to accept/reject.
>
>Scot

Would this provide an opportunity to have for example:
/usr/ports/eclipse
/usr/ports/eclipse/plugins/

so that the plugins could be selected for installation from make  config
in /usr/ports and manage the installation of the plugins (rather similar to
what happens for php)?

david

>--
>DISCLAIMER:
>No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.