[SUGGEST] Reform eclipse and eclipse related ports

Roman Neuhauser neuhauser at sigpipe.cz
Mon Oct 17 17:33:30 PDT 2005

# lambert at lambertfam.org / 2005-10-17 17:21:45 -0500:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 05:05:18PM -0500, Scot Hetzel wrote:
> > The following could be added to bsd.port.mk
> >
> > virtualport:
> > .for CATEGORY in ${CATEGORIES}
> > .if not exist ${PORTSDIR}/${CATEGORY}
> >     mkdir ${PORTSDIR}/${CATEGORY}
> > .endif
> > .if not exist ${PORTSDIR}/${CATEGORY}/${PORTNAME}
> >    ln -s ${.CURDIR} ${PORTSDIR}/${CATEGORY}/${PORTNAME}
> > .endif
> > .endfor
> >
> > which would add the link for a specific port.  The we would need to
> > add a virtualports target (bsd.subdir.mk?) that would decend thru all
> > the ports creating all the symbolic links (similar to the "make
> > readmes" target used in /usr/ports/ ).
>
> The inodes, man!  The inodes!!!!

    Inodes are cheap compared to the time I spend typing (and fixing
    typos in) something like

    make search name=\^p5- disp=path cat=www | sed '/^$/d'

    compared to

    Screw inodes, ls is too nice for the basic stuff.

    We could stop using the ugly portname prefixes like p5-, pear-
    (they just duplicate information contained in CATEGORIES IMO).
    Today, you can usually list all ports in such a virtual category
    by doing e. g. ls /usr/ports/*/p5-*, with virtual categories on disk
    you could also ls /usr/ports/p5. And, since you'll probably be in
    /usr/ports already, the final command is comfortably short (how
    about ls ecl<tab>?).

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.