UPDATING - needs updating?

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Tue Nov 22 18:26:36 GMT 2005

On Monday 21 November 2005 16:39, Vizion wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have noticed that some earlier notices relating to some ports  in
> UPDATING appear as though they have been made out of data by newer notices
> (e.g  kde 20050804 seems to replace 20050324) and sometimes the
> instructions conflict with one another. While I presuime the latest notice
> always takes precedence I wonder if it would be possible to have notices
> that are no longer current removed from UPDATING.
>
> I know I would find it useful to have  an html version of UPDATING with an
> index page by port with a link to the notices.  How easy it would be to do
> this automatically as UPDATING is upfated I do not know but I throw the
> idea out there in case anyone feels like catching it.

UPDATING is essentially a journel that describes the pitfalls associated with
continously keeping your ports up-to-date. You need to follow the directions
from the time of your last update to the current date.

If you update so infrequently that you accumulate several entries that apply
to the same port, you need to use your common sense about home to combine
them. The only meaningful way to do that is to read them in order.

I just run a script that shows a diff between the current version and the
previous version. If you update frequently you only see one or two entries at
a time, and many can be ignored - particularly if you update with
portmanager.