UPDATING - needs updating?

Wesley Shields wxs at csh.rit.edu
Mon Nov 21 19:13:53 GMT 2005

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 08:39:55AM -0800, Vizion wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have noticed that some earlier notices relating to some ports  in UPDATING
> appear as though they have been made out of data by newer notices (e.g  kde
> 20050804 seems to replace 20050324) and sometimes the instructions conflict
> with one another. While I presuime the latest notice always takes precedence
> I wonder if it would be possible to have notices that are no longer current
> removed from UPDATING.

I think this is probably a bad idea, simply from a historical
perspective.  If I wanted to chase down a bug that was available only
for a specified time period I would like to know the corresponding
UPDATING entries.

> I know I would find it useful to have  an html version of UPDATING with an
> index page by port with a link to the notices.  How easy it would be to do
> this automatically as UPDATING is upfated I do not know but I throw the idea
> out there in case anyone feels like catching it.

I believe freshports.org can do this already, though backwards.  Rather
than looking through UPDATING for links to the individual ports you can
find the corresponding entries in the individual ports themselves (see
www.freshports.org/x11/xterm as an example).

-- WXS