Integrated DEBUG related macros to WITH_DEBUG/WITHOUT_DEBUG

Norikatsu Shigemura nork at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 15 07:37:02 PST 2005

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:50:47 +0300
Andrey Chernov <ache at FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> > > *DEBUG knob has different meaning from port to port and often not just -g
> > > adding, but turns on internal port debugging output/checks.
> > > It means that it should be turned on/off separately on per port basis.
> > > I.e. WITH_<portname>_DEBUG.
> > > WITH_<portname>_* style options also allows to add them all into
> > > /etc/make.conf without creating name conflicts between the ports.
> > 	I don't think so.  There are 127ports supported DEBUG related
> > 	knobs.  Only 127ports, and there are some ports which we
> > 	request with DEBUG related knobs at the most.
> > 	'WITH_DEBUG' is well known and global knob.  This is POLA
> > 	important.  If you want to turn on/off per port, you can
> > 	set following description in /etc/make.conf.  This is ungy,
> > 	sure.  But it's casual.
> First of all, I don't see any sense to turn debug for all 127 ports at
> once. For many years the only need I see - turn for one of them. So it

	Disscussed with: hrs
	I noticed my miss.  Sorry I don't think that *ALL* DEBUG related
	knobs should be integrated.  I consider that *AS POSSIBLE AS*
	DEBUG related knobs should be integated.

>>	ok? using *_DEBUG_* knobs.  But I think that these should not
>>	    be replaced to WITH_DEBUG.  Semantics different.

	I know well that there are many ports which cannot be integrated.
	But I hope 'as possible as' and 'keep it simply'.

> isn't "global knob" as you say. It is local per port knob and should not
> affect other ports.

	Sure.  WITH_DEBUG is well-known, I saied 'global'.  But
	it is local per port.  So I think that  Stijn's idea is
	good.