Integrated DEBUG related macros to WITH_DEBUG/WITHOUT_DEBUG

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Mon Nov 14 02:22:57 PST 2005

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 07:14:15PM +0100, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Sunday, 13. November 2005 16:11, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > I totally agree with that; it's just that having 127 _unobviously_
> > named DEBUG knobs is also totally useless.
> >
> > E.g., for audio/arts, do I need to set 'WITH_KDE_DEBUG=yes' to get
> > debugging symbols? I don't know and I can't quickly look it up.
>
> Indeed you do and indeed you can't.
>
> However, I don't consider the latter to be a real pressing problem - after
> all, we're talking about compiling a piece of software in a way that
> facilitates *debugging* - it's bad enough when I (as a kde maintainer) see no
> other choice but to tell you, the user (when you've reported a problem - say
> a crash - to me), to recompile the whole damn thing with some switch intended
> for developers so I can figure out what the problem is.

OK, I agree that it should be unnecessary for 'normal' users to want to do
this. That doesn't preclude standardization of the switch name though.

I thought of one scenario that the WITH_<portname>_DEBUG scheme is not
good for: debugging the whole of KDE for example. It would really be a
regression if you couldn't do 'make WITH_KDE_DEBUG=yes install' in
x11/kde3 anymore without all of WITH_ARTS_DEBUG=yes, WITH_KDELIBS3_DEBUG=yes,
etc etc. So 'global' knobs like 'WITH_KDE_DEBUG' should also still be
kept, I guess.

> > Michael's proposal for 'WITH_<portname>_DEBUG' is ultimately the way
> > to go.
>
> I don't deserve the credit for that idea (I don't really remember who came up
> with it, IIRC obrien@). ;-)

Ah, ok. The OPTIONS_<portname> scheme also sounds like a good idea.

--Stijn

--
If today is the first day of the rest of your life, what the hell was
yesterday?