libgnomevfs2 (2.10) and KDE apps

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Wed Mar 16 20:55:40 PST 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 02:42:24 +0100, Jose M Rodriguez
<josemi at freebsd.jazztel.es> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm one of that fools who must install Xservers with KDE/gnome/xfce and
> let the user select his desktop (Over 20 Servers and hundreds users).
>
> Again, libgnomevfs2 makes KDE apps appear in the application menu without
> icons (there aren't KDE icons where gnome searchs).

gnomevfs2 doesn't has any of menu function anymore. It's in gnome-menus.

> But Now, there isn't a knob to disable this.
>
> After some investigation, I found that I can get a more correct behavior
> using
> a XDG_DATA_DIRS env of:
> XDG_DATA_DIRS="/usr/X11R6/share/gnome/:/usr/X11R6/share/"

...and in that ${X11BASE}/etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu

> Appart of note this for other users in my case, please, can gnome@
> rethink libgnomevfs2 patches?

gnome-menus doesn't provide any option to enable/disable like what
gnomevfs2 used to have. I am not going to work on to break the 'standard'
installation of gnome-menus, so send us the patch if you do really want to
have the KDE menu disable. When you create patch, be sure to keep KDE menu
enable by default.

> I think that, if a gnome user need a kde app (very rare case), he may
> use the same env to include /usr/local/share/ or what he needs of
> special.

Disagree, this is even more nasty. If GNOME 2.10 has menu editors then the
things will be difference, because any users can remove KDE menu. It is
easier to remove than that 'env' stuff.

Cheers,
Mezz

> Thanks in advance,