FreeBSD Port: doorman-0.8

Lupe Christoph lupe at lupe-christoph.de
Fri Jun 24 08:01:18 GMT 2005

Quoting fbsd_user <fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com>:

> > One last thing. Doorman has a ms/windows knock program available
> as
> > a .zip file. Sure would be nice to have that zip file included
> with
> > the port alone with a example Windows's script combining the knock
> > exec with say FTP or telnet.

> This is a FreeBSD port. It does not even include the doorman code.
> Why should it include something that is not even needed to run
> doorman
> on FreeBSD?

> REPLY:  BACAUSE MANY FREEBSD USERS HAVE LARGE USER COMMUNITIES THAT
> USE WINDOWS BOXS TO ACCESS THEIR FREEBSD SERVER THATS WHY.

Are you argouing that FreeBSD ports of server software that can provide
a Windows client should include that client? Sorry, I can't support
that view.

When I add something to the port, I feel I must be able to support it.
I can't even compile Windows software, let alone debug it.

So, no I will not add Windows software to this port.

> I wrote the current handbooks firewall section and I think this
> doorman port is so important that I am going to add reference to it
> in the update I am writing to the firewall section. That is why I
> have been testing it and corresponding with you about enhancements
> to the install process.

I appreciate the additional exposure this port will get through your work.
Even more would I appreciate if you were able to test doormand with ipfw.
I don't have the time to set up infrastructure to do this test.

> Thanks for your fast replies in this matter.  You are doing a good
> job.

Thanks for the flowers ;-)
Lupe Christoph
--
| lupe at lupe-christoph.de       |           http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
| "... putting a mail server on the Internet without filtering is like   |