math/R 2.10 graphics device: Error in X11() : could not find any X11 fonts - Check that the Font Path is correct

Jeffrey Racine racinej at mcmaster.ca
Mon Jun 13 14:06:50 GMT 2005

Hi.

R 2.1.0 has gratefully been committed (thanks!). However, for some
reason it cannot find any fonts. When I try to do a simple plot (or
demo(persp) for that matter) I get the message

Error in X11() : could not find any X11 fonts
Check that the Font Path is correct.

I have scoured newsgroups, the R archives etc. and see one complaint
about this but no resolution. Any help is much appreciated. This occurs
on a 5.4 stable system and 6.0 current both running gnome 2.10. R 2.0.1
ran just fine out of the box.

Many thanks for any help/suggestions.

-- Jeff

--
Professor J. S. Racine         Phone:  (905) 525 9140 x 23825
Department of Economics        FAX:    (905) 521-8232
McMaster University            e-mail: racinej at mcmaster.ca
1280 Main St. W.,Hamilton,     URL:
http://www.economics.mcmaster.ca/racine/
Ontario, Canada. L8S 4M4

`The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to
chance.'