Including PREFIX/etc/rc.d/* scripts in the system's rcorder for startup in 6.0-Release

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Jun 9 22:05:20 GMT 2005

On Jun 9, 2005, at 5:30 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
> The first part of the approach is to hack /etc/rc.d/localpkg to use
> rcorder
> to handle the keywords that are already in the scripts with *.sh
> filename
> patterns. This will preserve the lexical ordering that exists now,
> while
> giving port authors (and users of course) the ability to start using
> keywords with existing scripts that fit the *.sh pattern.

After this change, will rcorder override the current lexical ordering
as needed?
In other words, if the local etc/rc.d contains these startup scripts:

bar.sh    (which has "# REQUIRE: foo")
baz.sh
foo.sh    (which has "# PROVIDES: foo")

...the new world order will invoke foo, then bar, then baz?

> Part two of this proposal is to hack on /etc/rc to use rcorder on any
> scripts in PREFIX/etc/rc.d that DON'T use the *.sh filename
> pattern, but DO
> include a new keyword (that will be specified). In this way, port
> authors
> and users can start opting into the new system at their
> convenience. Once
> the new system has been in place "long enough," we can drop
> processing for
> the special key word, and just handle all rc.d scripts the same,
> regardless
> of their location.

OK.  I've never been fond of treating startup items differently
depending on whether they end in .sh, to begin with, so this
mechanism would let scripts participate in rcorder if they contain
this new keyword, regardless of the script name.

> This may sound more complicated than it needs to be, but the
> discussion on
> the freebsd-rc list brought up a lot of interesting cases that need
> to be
> considered as part of this transition, and I believe we've
> simplified it as
> much as possible. My question at this point is, does this approach
> sound
> reasonable?

Sounds good to me.

--