Including PREFIX/etc/rc.d/* scripts in the system's rcorder for startup in 6.0-Release

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 9 21:30:23 GMT 2005

Howdy,

I realize that this is pretty short notice before the release, but the rc.d
team just got a spiffy new volunteer to do the legwork on this, and so we're
going to try to beat the code freeze/slushie deadline for 6.0. What we've
been discussing for the last few days on the freebsd-rc list is a two-fold
approach in order to avoid needing a flag day to cover this issue.

The first part of the approach is to hack /etc/rc.d/localpkg to use rcorder
to handle the keywords that are already in the scripts with *.sh filename
patterns. This will preserve the lexical ordering that exists now, while
giving port authors (and users of course) the ability to start using
keywords with existing scripts that fit the *.sh pattern.

Part two of this proposal is to hack on /etc/rc to use rcorder on any
scripts in PREFIX/etc/rc.d that DON'T use the *.sh filename pattern, but DO
include a new keyword (that will be specified). In this way, port authors
and users can start opting into the new system at their convenience. Once
the new system has been in place "long enough," we can drop processing for
the special key word, and just handle all rc.d scripts the same, regardless
of their location.

This may sound more complicated than it needs to be, but the discussion on
the freebsd-rc list brought up a lot of interesting cases that need to be
considered as part of this transition, and I believe we've simplified it as
much as possible. My question at this point is, does this approach sound
reasonable? Our intention is to coordinate this closely with y'all so that
we don't do something that will break the new release, or more importantly
break backwards computability.

Thanks,

Doug