Problem with Postfix upgrade

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Wed Jul 20 00:50:23 GMT 2005

--On July 20, 2005 1:19:02 AM +0200 Danny Pansters <danny at ricin.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 20 July 2005 00:47, Paul Schmehl wrote:
>> I just upgraded Postfix on a server, and now I'm getting pipe errors in
>> the maillog.
>>
>> Jul 19 17:38:47 stovebolt postfix/pipe[4354]: fatal: invalid option: ?
>> Jul 19 17:38:48 stovebolt postfix/master[4180]: warning: process
>> /usr/local/libexec/postfix/pipe pid 4354 exit status 1
>> Jul 19 17:38:48 stovebolt postfix/master[4180]: warning:
>> /usr/local/libexec/postfix/pipe: bad command startup -- throttling
>>
>> Googling reveals that this is apparently a problem with the FreeBSD port
>> linking with what Weitse calls "a braindead GNU GETOPT".  Does anyone
>> know about this problem?  Is it possible to reverse the upgrade without
>> linking to the same braindead GETOPT?
>>
>> How do I fix the problem?
>>

> That would suggest that either the port is broken or perhaps not
> supported on  your (4.x?) system. Or that Wietse has a solution for it
> and that should go  into the port (maybe using our libc's getopts rather
> than gnu's). Someone at  some stage probably would like a patch. I don't
> know more about this to  comment any further but this seems to be the
> scenario at work here.

4.9 SECURITY

I checked man (8) pipe and verified that all the switches I'm using in
master.cf are still "legal".  Reviewed the docs to confirm that my syntax
was correct.  Everything looks normal, but the queue is slowing rising, and
I'm not sure if the server is receiving email.  (I've verified that it can
send mail *from* the server to a "foreign" address.)

If this email makes it to the list, then SMTP AUTH over TLS is working as
well.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas