FreeBSD Port: vnc-4.1.1

James Raftery james at now.ie
Mon Jul 18 14:55:40 GMT 2005

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 01:00:15AM +0200, Dennis Kirschner wrote:
> I just did a "make install clean" on the VNC port and the installation
> immediately goes out to download the sources for XFree86 4.3.0, as
> though my system (5.4-RELEASE-p4) is running x.org 6.8.2. Is it supposed
> to do that? XFree86 is not listed as a dependency of the /net/vnc/ port.

Hi Dennis,

XFree86 is not listed as a dependency because an installed copy of
XFree86 is not what's required. Rather, the XFree86 sources are required
sources for compiling the Xvnc program and vnc.so module. Installing
net/vnc does not install XFree86 on your system.

To build the VNC server components in version 3.x of RealVNC one
compiled a cut-down copy of the XFree86 sources that was included in the
RealVNC source tarball.

Since version 4.x, the VNC server source is distributed only as a patch to
XFree86 4.3.0 which requires that you fetch the XFree86 source tarballs
yourself and apply the patch. The port does this and compiles the result
to make the Xvnc program and vnc.so module.

A number of people have tried patching X.org sources with the VNC server
patch but it hasn't worked well.

As Bruce mentioned, the vnc.so module that the port installs, though
built from XFree86 sources, works fine in X.org X servers as the module
interface is unchanged from XFree86 4.3 to X.org 6.8.

Regards,
james
--
Times flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like bananas.