[kde-freebsd] make install (with no prompts overnight)

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Thu Jul 14 22:56:21 GMT 2005

On Friday, 15. July 2005 00:16, Sr. D wrote:

> I am trying to install kde3 from ports by simply
> typing "make install" from /usr/ports/x11/kde3.
> However, I left it compiling overnight and was greeted
> with a prompt the next morning (to choose some detail
> for the compile/installation).

First off, don't do that. First do 'make', then do 'make install' (yes, the
handbook says you just do 'make install' - it's wrong). You can also do both
in sequence: 'make && make install'.

To avoid the option popups, you can do 'make -DBATCH' instead of 'make' - this
will give you the preset defaults for each port with options. Or you can do
'make config-recursive' - this will present you with all option screens for
the port in whose directory you're currently in and all its dependencies, too
- make your choices there, then just go on with 'make'.

See 'man ports' for more information.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org