[kde-freebsd] make install (with no prompts overnight)

Sr. D rsdia at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 15 14:18:25 GMT 2005

--- Michael Nottebrock <lofi at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Friday, 15. July 2005 00:16, Sr. D wrote:
>
> > I am trying to install kde3 from ports by simply
> > typing "make install" from /usr/ports/x11/kde3.
> > However, I left it compiling overnight and was
> greeted
> > with a prompt the next morning (to choose some
> detail
> > for the compile/installation).
>
> First off, don't do that. First do 'make', then do
> 'make install' (yes, the
> handbook says you just do 'make install' - it's
> wrong). You can also do both
> in sequence: 'make && make install'.

Thanks.  I was wondering what the difference is.  I
just assumed 'make install' has a dependency target
'make'.

> To avoid the option popups, you can do 'make
> -DBATCH' instead of 'make' - this
> will give you the preset defaults for each port with
> options.

Will I get a successful build if I interrupt my 'make
install' now and do 'make -DBATCH && make install'?
Or do I need to start over (make clean or somesuch)?

I was greeted this morning with a prompt to install
GNOKII Kaddressbook import/export for Nokia phones (so
you know where I am at in the build process).

Do some people really prefer to watch a slow build
flash across their screen and then be prompted to
install Nokia phone support?

> Or you can do
> 'make config-recursive' - this will present you with
> all option screens for
> the port in whose directory you're currently in and
> all its dependencies, too
> - make your choices there, then just go on with
> 'make'.

Perhaps you just answered my Nokia question.  This may
be what I'm looking for.

> See 'man ports' for more information.

I definitely learned some new things here thanks.  I
thought "man" was only for commands and 'man ports'
never crossed my mind.

The cool part is I'm writing you from FreeBSD, X
Windows, Firefox while the kde3 build is in progress.

Regards.