[HEADS UP] PostgreSQL ports split into -server & -client

Palle Girgensohn girgen at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 31 06:51:31 PST 2005

--On måndag, januari 31, 2005 15.38.16 +0200 Ion-Mihai Tetcu
<itetcu at people.tecnik93.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:49:34 +0100
> dirk.meyer at dinoex.sub.org (Dirk Meyer) wrote:
>
>> Craig Boston schrieb:,
>>
>> > With 8.0 out and and 7.x likely continuing to be used in production
>> > environments for quite some time, it would be nice to have a standard
>> > way to select which combination of version and server/client to be
>> > used (if there isn't one already; I'm about to go look at the new
>> > ports).
>>
>> I used this macro in bind9-dlz/Makefile:
>> POSTGRESQL_PORT?=	databases/postgresql7
>> LIB_DEPENDS=		pq.3:${PORTSDIR}/${POSTGRESQL_PORT}
>
> What about a user settable WITH_PGSQL_VER equivalent of
> DEFAULT_PGSQL_VER  like in MySQL case ?
>

> And: I've set in my mail/dspam's Makefile:
>   .if defined(WITH_POSTGRESQL)
>   USE_PGSQL=      yes
> + WANT_PGSQL_VER= 99
> + DEFAULT_PGSQL_VER=      99
> + BROKEN_WITH_PGSQL=      74
>
> and it doesn't complain, just goes on and compiles with the install
> headers; having this installed:
>  # pkg_info -I postg\*
> postgresql-7.4.6    The most advanced open-source database available
> anywhere postgresql-docs-7.4.6 The PostgreSQL documentation set
>
> And I don't understand it, it should bark on this else:
># And now we are checking if we can use it
> .if exists(${PORTSDIR}/databases/postgresql${PGSQL_VER}-client)
> .else
> BROKEN=         "unknown PostgreSQL version: ${PGSQL_VER}"

Well, in this case it is because pre.mk is loaded *before* the variables
are set. Hmm, this seems like a bug, but it works, kind of... I would have
believed that USE_PGSQL would not work either in this case, but it does.
This surprises me a bit.

Standard procedure is to set stuff like USE_PGSQL, WITH_PGSQL_VER and
BROKEN_WITH_PGSQL etc *before* including <bsd.port(.pre)?.mk>.

There is a catch-22 when using OPTIONS, though...the OPTIONS stuff is not
competent enought, really. You need to include <bsd.port.pre.mk> in order
to read stuff from OPTIONS, but then it is too late for setting USE_XXX
knobs... :(

But you're right that it does not do exactly what I would expect in this
case. I'll look into it tonight,

regards,
Palle