problems with CRAM-MD5 authentication in evolution

Volker Kindermann ml at ps102.de
Sun Jan 16 02:06:04 PST 2005

Hi Andrew,

> This might sound a bit silly, but I can't figure out how to force evolution to
> use CRAM-MD5 authentication instead of plain text password. Whenever I choose
> CRAM-MD5 as authentication method in the evolution settings and click "OK", the
> changes apparently are lost because even if I go back to that menu a second
> later, it has plain password authentication instead of CRAM-MD5. This is
> something specifically related to the port of evolution to freebsd as evolution
> on linux, mutt on freebsd and thunderbird on windows all work perfectly fine
> with CRAM-MD5 authentication.

no answer to your question, but I'm using CRAM-MD5 for sending mails to
a sasl enabled MTA-Server and it works fine.

$ uname -a
FreeBSD ariel.office.volker.de 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #0: Fri Jan
  7 15:49:00 CET 2005
root at ariel.office.volker.de:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ARIEL  i386

$ pkg_info|grep evolution
evolution-2.0.3     An integrated mail, calendar and address book
distributed s

Are you trying to use it for sending email or for receiving email? Ah,
one more thing: I disabled plain-text authentication on the MTA-Server.

  -volker