problems with CRAM-MD5 authentication in evolution

Andrew Konstantinov andrei at kableu.com
Sun Jan 16 16:17:24 PST 2005

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 11:08:22AM +0100, Volker Kindermann wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>

> >This might sound a bit silly, but I can't figure out how to force
> >evolution to
> >use CRAM-MD5 authentication instead of plain text password. Whenever I
> >choose
> >CRAM-MD5 as authentication method in the evolution settings and click
> >"OK", the
> >changes apparently are lost because even if I go back to that menu a second
> >later, it has plain password authentication instead of CRAM-MD5. This is
> >something specifically related to the port of evolution to freebsd as
> >evolution
> >on linux, mutt on freebsd and thunderbird on windows all work perfectly
> >fine
> >with CRAM-MD5 authentication.
>
> no answer to your question, but I'm using CRAM-MD5 for sending mails to
> a sasl enabled MTA-Server and it works fine.
>
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD ariel.office.volker.de 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #0: Fri Jan
>  7 15:49:00 CET 2005
> root at ariel.office.volker.de:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ARIEL  i386
>
> $ pkg_info|grep evolution
> evolution-2.0.3     An integrated mail, calendar and address book
> distributed s
>
> Are you trying to use it for sending email or for receiving email? Ah,
> one more thing: I disabled plain-text authentication on the MTA-Server.

I'm trying to use CRAM-MD5 with imaps for receiving the mail from my
courier-imap server. The evolution's version is the latest one from the ports
running on FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p4.

The mail server:

mail# uname -rs
FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p2
mail# pkg_info | grep courier
courier-authlib-0.52 Authentication library used by courier ports
courier-imap-4.0.1,1 IMAP (and POP3) server that provides access to Maildir mail
mail# grep authmodulelist /usr/local/etc/authlib/authdaemonrc | grep -v '^#'
authmodulelist="authuserdb"
mail#

As far as I understand, it's not possible to remove support for plain password
authentication without also removing CRAM-MD5 support, because CRAM-MD5 support
is included in the authuserdb module. I haven't looked too deep into that, so
I'm not sure if that's 100% correct. But, that's not even the root of the
problem because all the other mail user agents on different platforms work just
fine with my server.

Volker, if it's not too problematic for you, could you mail me some exerpts
from your ~/.gconf/apps/evolution/mail/%gconf.xml file containing the
specification of the authentication method? If that file indeed contains the
authentication settings for evolution, I could specify them manually and that
should solve my problem.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew