is openoffice broken in FreeBSD 4.x?

NAKATA Maho chat95 at mac.com
Thu Jan 13 00:57:13 PST 2005

In Message-ID: <20050112171457.GA63187 at iib.unsam.edu.ar>
Fernan Aguero <fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar> wrote:

> But, when I type 'make -DBROKEN' nothing different happens,
> just the same message again.
Sorry this is my fault.

> I am running FreeBSD-4.10p5 (RELENG_4_10), and would like to
> know how to upgrade my rtld, if that's possible, and then
> openoffice.

from
http://porting.openoffice.org/freebsd/
    We had minor but serious implementation difference in rtld.c between FreeBSD and NetBSD/Linux/Solaris which had been inducing very weired problem, and workaround also inducing a hard-to-track bug. It was fixed after 5.2.1-RELEASE and 4.10-RELEASE. Please see commit log also for details. So we decided to mark these port as BROKEN for them. However, an unconfirmed patch for rtld.c is available, and it is totally unsupported. At your own risk, and feedback is welcome.

	@${ECHO} "# fetch http://people.freebsd.org/~maho/ooo/patch-rtld.c"
	@${ECHO} "# cd /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf ; patch < patch-rtld.c"
	@${ECHO} "# make ; make depend ; make install"
	@${ECHO} "AT YOUR OWN RISK!"

I don't recommend you to do it...even I don't confirm that patch can
be applied cleanly. and in the worst case you must reinstall entier
FreeBSD. I'm serious.

thanks,
-- NAKATA, Maho