FreeBSD Port: xmule-1.9.4.b_1

Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira lioux at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jan 9 10:02:43 PST 2005

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 05:59:35PM +0100, Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> On Sun, 09.01.2005 at 10:29:02 -0600, Theodore R. Smith wrote:
> > Why is xMule 1.9.4b regarded as "broken" by freshports?
>
> Because it's "only" broken for 4.x releases of FreeBSD which shipped
> with gcc 2.95 (and will not be updated).
>
> > Judging the content at
> > http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/errorlogs/i386-errorlogs/e.4.2005010401/xmule-1.9.4.b_1.log
> >
> > It appears as though xMule is being tested with an out-dated compiler, probably
> > gcc 2.95.x, which is no longer maintained by FSF.
>
> Yes, that's the build log for FreeBSD 4.11. This could probably be
> worked around by explicitely depending on a newer gcc port to be
> installed.
> aka
> USE_GCC=        3.3

	This is not so simple. xmule 1.9.4b depends on textproc/expat2,
devel/gettext and x11-toolkits/wxgtk2 libraries; they are all
compiled using the base compiler shipped with 4.11-R which is gcc
2.95.

	Therefore, compiling xmule with gcc 3.x (3.4 would be better)
but trying to link against libraries built with 2.95 will not work.

	Hence, my flagging the port as BROKEN for FreeBSD 4.x branch.

> > I'm not trying to tell you how to do your job(s)/volunteer work.  I am imploring
> > you to penalize the proper deviants accordingly: the non-ISO-C++-compliant
> > compiler that tests xMule.
>
> Relax, it's only broken for the older 4.x line of FreeBSD and it can
> probably be fixed very easily by the maintainer.

	Yes, the current production version is FreeBSD 5.x branch.
The 4.x branch will have its last release (hopefully) with version
4.11-RELEASE. The port builds fine with the 5.x branch under gcc
3.4.

	By the way, feel free to provide us with anything you
think would be useful to make this port better. I have been supporting
this effort ever since lmule and I would like to keep support this
new effort even longer.

	Please, provide a personal private email so that I can
contact you with patches required to build xmule under the FreeBSD
platform.

	Regards,

--
Mario S F Ferreira - DF - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
feature, n: a documented bug | bug, n: an undocumented feature