FreeBSD Port: xmule-1.9.4.b_1

Ulrich Spoerlein q at uni.de
Sun Jan 9 09:00:01 PST 2005

On Sun, 09.01.2005 at 10:29:02 -0600, Theodore R. Smith wrote:
> Why is xMule 1.9.4b regarded as "broken" by freshports?

Because it's "only" broken for 4.x releases of FreeBSD which shipped
with gcc 2.95 (and will not be updated).

> Judging the content at
> http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/errorlogs/i386-errorlogs/e.4.2005010401/xmule-1.9.4.b_1.log
>
> It appears as though xMule is being tested with an out-dated compiler, probably
> gcc 2.95.x, which is no longer maintained by FSF.

Yes, that's the build log for FreeBSD 4.11. This could probably be
worked around by explicitely depending on a newer gcc port to be
installed.
aka
USE_GCC=        3.3

> I'm not trying to tell you how to do your job(s)/volunteer work.  I am imploring
> you to penalize the proper deviants accordingly: the non-ISO-C++-compliant
> compiler that tests xMule.

Relax, it's only broken for the older 4.x line of FreeBSD and it can
probably be fixed very easily by the maintainer.

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
 PGP Key ID: F0DB9F44				Encrypted mail welcome!
Fingerprint: F1CE D062 0CA9 ADE3 349B  2FE8 980A C6B5 F0DB 9F44