Nc6 for FreeBSD 4.10

Christian Vogt chvogt at tm.uka.de
Sat Jan 8 10:12:13 PST 2005

Hi,

I am a Ph.D. student at the University of Karlsruhe, Germany.  For a
project on Mobile IPv6, I need a simple tool with which data can be
transmitted over TCP.  The problem is: I depend on outdated FreeBSD 4.10.

I guess that Nc6 would give me everything I need.  However, when I type

    # cd /usr/ports/net/nc6/
    # make

on my FreeBSD 4.10 system, I get an error message:

++++++++++
Making all in src
source='circ_buf.c' object='circ_buf.o' libtool=no
depfile='.deps/circ_buf.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/circ_buf.TPo'  depmode=gcc
/bin/sh ../config/depcomp  cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..  -I../contrib
-I../intl -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale\"  -I/usr/local/include
-O -pipe    -pipe -W -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wcast-qual -Wcast-align -finline-functions -O -pipe -c `test -f
'circ_buf.c' || echo './'`circ_buf.c
source='filter.c' object='filter.o' libtool=no
depfile='.deps/filter.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/filter.TPo'  depmode=gcc
/bin/sh ../config/depcomp  cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..  -I../contrib
-I../intl -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale\"  -I/usr/local/include
-O -pipe    -pipe -W -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wcast-qual -Wcast-align -finline-functions -O -pipe -c `test -f
'filter.c' || echo './'`filter.c
filter.c:42: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
filter.c: In function `is_allowed':
filter.c:208: `EAI_NODATA' undeclared (first use in this function)
filter.c:208: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
filter.c:208: for each function it appears in.)
filter.c:209: `EAI_ADDRFAMILY' undeclared (first use in this function)
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/net/nc6/work/nc6-0.5/src.
*** Error code 1
++++++++++

The two identifiers EAI_NODATA and EAI_ADDRFAMILY appear only one time
in the entire Nc6 code, namely, in a swich statement in file filter.c.
I replaced the identifiers by their values (7 and 1, respectively), and,
guess what, Nc6 compiled successfully.

However, when I use the program for a TCP connection, it aborts with an
error:

    # /usr/local/bin/nc6 1000::1 2000
    nc6: forward host lookup failed for remote endpoint 1000::1:
    Non-recoverable failure in name resolution

At this time, Nc6 is running in listen mode on node 1000::1. (I called
/usr/local/bin/nc6 -l -p 2000 -s 1000::1 on the remote machine.) The
funny thing is that I am providing an IPv6 address above, but Nc6 still
seems to try doing name resolution.  This does not change when I use the
"-n" option.

I suppose that the problem is due to the software in the Ports archive
being incompatible with FreeBSD 4.10.  Therefore, I wonder if you have
an older version of Nc6 that I could use.  As far as the additional
software that Nc6 requires goes, I have the following versions on the
FreeBSD 4.10 system:

    expat-1.95.6_1
    gettext-0.12.1
    libiconv-1.9.1_1

I would be so greatful if you could help me out!

Best regards,

- Christian

PS: Please, send any reply also to "chvogt at tm.uka.de".  Thanks.

--
Christian Vogt, Institute of Telematics, University of Karlsruhe
www.tm.uka.de/~chvogt/