Odd behavior with perl upgrade...

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Mon Feb 21 21:13:18 PST 2005

...and did I read /usr/ports/UPDATING before hitting this issue.

I have upgraded perl on several of my systems without much of a
problem.  But today I upgraded a 6.x-current system which was
probably at least three months old.  I got into all kinds of
weird behavior updating perl.  It seemed to update, and install,
but then the next perl-related port would complain that perl
was not installed, so it would install it again.  And then fail.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I deleted all the left-over
lines in /etc/make.conf which had anything to do with perl.  I
then did a 'portupgrade -f p5-\*', which caused perl-5.8.6_2
to be rebuilt one more time, then rebuilt all the p5-* ports,
and then things seemed to be okay.  Not sure what was wrong.
It might have been that I had two different versions of perl
installed at the time I started out.

Sorry this is sparse in useful details, but I just thought I'd
mention that I needed to delete those lines, and I didn't see
that mentioned in the UPDATING file.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu