[Please test] mplayer-0.99.6

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 8 14:21:24 PST 2005

Thomas E. Zander píše v út 08. 02. 2005 v 23:13 +0100:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 08. Feb 2005, at 22:07 +0100, Pav Lucistnik wrote
> according to [Re: [Please test] mplayer-0.99.6]:
>
> > [MPLAYER_CUSTOM_BUILD]
> > Why is this variable needed?
> >
> > Users surely will want to just define WITHOUT_GUI=yes and expect the
> > port to disable Gtk frontend, as it did up to now. This new variable
> > which have to be declared for WITHOUT_GUI to take effect looks like pure
> > annoyance to me. What's the background behind it?
>
> Well, annoyance is pretty hard imho.
> As I explained, there was some discussion going on in mplayer land, and
> most users (including myself) consider a good idea to be able to build
> some kind of 'official' binary package which includes some specific
> features and isn't built for a special CPU. In other words: It should
> be possible to build identical mplayer packages on different machines
> with different additional installed ports without tweaking make flags
> over and over.
> Until pre5, we automatically added dependencies and linked to the libs
> which are found on the system which results in a different mplayer port
> for almost any setup. To change this, I wanted to add a knob which
> defines dependencies on special features (and ONLY those features) to
> offer this possibility of unification.

I always consider it a great feature and a huge comfort for user that it
adapts to what user have installed. It would be silly to have libfoo
installed and still have to define something by hand to make mplayer
pick it up. I wonder, if you run ./configure script by hand, it will
autopickup stuff?

> Now it's ok to discuss: Is it correct to set this binary-should-look-
> the-same-way-everywhere-build as the default as I did in the test port
> or should we think the other direction?

So what about reverse action - leave old behaviour on and add
WITH_GENERIC_SETTINGS or something which would turn on this generic
profile?

> I've chosen this course of action because I am of the opinion that
> build machines like our bento should be able to create the binary
> packages without having to define some knobs and without following a
> specific order of installing the ports in order to build a special
> package with the desired 'default' features.

You can make the port that default values of WITH_* and WITHOUT_* knobs
give you your desired package, and you make rely on official package
building cluster to build the package exactly you want it.

> I thought it's not a big deal for users who install custom mplayers
> anyways just to define an additional make variable.

I think a lot of people define at least optimization and CPU detection
flags, and if nothing they will be pretty surprised.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>

Angband in action! Constant escalation to new depths to find angrier,
meaner letters and more punctuation!