[Please test] mplayer-0.99.6

Thomas E. Zander riggs at rrr.de
Tue Feb 8 14:13:40 PST 2005

Hi,

On Tue, 08. Feb 2005, at 22:07 +0100, Pav Lucistnik wrote
according to [Re: [Please test] mplayer-0.99.6]:

> [MPLAYER_CUSTOM_BUILD]
> Why is this variable needed?
>
> Users surely will want to just define WITHOUT_GUI=yes and expect the
> port to disable Gtk frontend, as it did up to now. This new variable
> which have to be declared for WITHOUT_GUI to take effect looks like pure
> annoyance to me. What's the background behind it?

Well, annoyance is pretty hard imho.
As I explained, there was some discussion going on in mplayer land, and
most users (including myself) consider a good idea to be able to build
some kind of 'official' binary package which includes some specific
features and isn't built for a special CPU. In other words: It should
be possible to build identical mplayer packages on different machines
with different additional installed ports without tweaking make flags
over and over.
Until pre5, we automatically added dependencies and linked to the libs
which are found on the system which results in a different mplayer port
for almost any setup. To change this, I wanted to add a knob which
defines dependencies on special features (and ONLY those features) to
offer this possibility of unification.
Now it's ok to discuss: Is it correct to set this binary-should-look-
the-same-way-everywhere-build as the default as I did in the test port
or should we think the other direction?
I've chosen this course of action because I am of the opinion that
build machines like our bento should be able to create the binary
packages without having to define some knobs and without following a
specific order of installing the ports in order to build a special
package with the desired 'default' features.
I thought it's not a big deal for users who install custom mplayers
anyways just to define an additional make variable.

Riggs

--
- "[...] I talked to the computer at great length and
-- explained my view of the Universe to it" said Marvin.