Bug[?] In new local_startup and webmin3

Beecher Rintoul akbeech at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 03:10:23 PST 2005

On Thursday 22 December 2005 01:23 am, Doug Barton wrote:
> Beecher Rintoul wrote:
> >>
> >> The webmin script has this line in the script:
> >>
> >> webmin_enable="NO"
> >>
> >> which is likely to lead to unpredictable results. Try removing that, and
> >> make sure that you have webmin_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf[.local]
> >
> > Thanks, I'll give that a try.
>
> Ok, I've taken another look at this, and I don't think that part is the
> problem. I installed the webmin port, then tried to run the
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/webmin.sh script. It seems that a few bits are missing,
> at least from what I can see. That script has the following:
>
> pidfile=/var/log/webmin/miniserv.pid
> required_dirs=${prefix}/etc/webmin
> command=${prefix}/etc/webmin/start
>
> The pidfile location looks bogus, but even if /var/log is the right place
> for this, I don't have a /var/log/webmin directory after installing the
> port. The /usr/local/etc/webmin directory doesn't exist either, and
> therefore the listed command doesn't exist. Therefore, there is no way that
> this boot script could work.
>
> Now I'm not sure what the right answers are here, and if I'm missing some
> important element of the thing, please let me know.

Strange, I have all those directories and there is a pidfile
in /var. /usr/local/etc/webmin is the main webmin directory, and there is a
shell script named "start". Running the rc.d script from the command line
does start the miniserv.pl process. Removing the webmin_enable="NO" didn't
change anything, it still doesn't start from boot. Sounds like your install
may not have worked. Anyway, I have a client that uses webmin almost
exclusively and she brought it to my attention. I checked a couple of other
machines and it isn't working on any of them. I did a quick cron hack to cure
the problem for now. I haven't really looked into the new rc.d scripts, but I
guess it's about time. Please let me know if you find an answer.

Thanks,

Beech

Beech Rintoul - System Administrator - akbeech at gmail.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | NorthWind Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - Please visit Alaska Paradise - http://akparadise.byethost33.com