Bug[?] In new local_startup and webmin3

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 22 02:23:22 PST 2005

Beecher Rintoul wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 December 2005 04:08 pm, Doug Barton wrote:
>> Beecher Rintoul wrote:
>>> I have the same problem with webmin.sh. No errors on boot, just doesn't
>>> start. /usr/local/etc/rc.d/webmin.sh start works.
>> The webmin script has this line in the script:
>>
>> webmin_enable="NO"
>>
>> which is likely to lead to unpredictable results. Try removing that, and
>> make sure that you have webmin_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf[.local]
>>
> Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Ok, I've taken another look at this, and I don't think that part is the
problem. I installed the webmin port, then tried to run the
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/webmin.sh script. It seems that a few bits are missing,
at least from what I can see. That script has the following:

pidfile=/var/log/webmin/miniserv.pid
required_dirs=${prefix}/etc/webmin
command=${prefix}/etc/webmin/start

The pidfile location looks bogus, but even if /var/log is the right place
for this, I don't have a /var/log/webmin directory after installing the
port. The /usr/local/etc/webmin directory doesn't exist either, and
therefore the listed command doesn't exist. Therefore, there is no way that
this boot script could work.

Now I'm not sure what the right answers are here, and if I'm missing some
important element of the thing, please let me know.

hth,

Doug