lang/gcc40 COMDAT group support... Segmentation fault

Randy Pratt rpratt1950 at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 5 22:02:45 PDT 2005

Hi,

I've done some searching in the archives but couldn't find anything
relating to what I'm seeing.  I'm not even sure its a real problem
so I thought I'd ask.

I had this kind of message appearing in /var/log/messages every time
that lang/gcc40 (4.11-STABLE #0: Tue Jan 25 13:27:59 EST 2005)
is built:

  Apr  3 23:18:44 kt /kernel: pid 11526 (as), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

The relevant section in my gcc40 portupgrade logs was:

checking assembler for .balign and .p2align... yes
checking assembler for .p2align with maximum skip... yes
checking assembler for working .subsection -1... yes
checking assembler for .weak... yes
checking assembler for .nsubspa comdat... no
checking assembler for .hidden... yes
checking linker for .hidden support... yes
checking assembler for .sleb128 and .uleb128... yes
checking assembler for eh_frame optimization... yes
checking assembler for section merging support... yes
checking assembler for COMDAT group support... Segmentation fault (core dumped)
no
checking assembler for COMDAT group support... Segmentation fault (core dumped)
no
checking assembler for thread-local storage support... no
checking linker -Bstatic/-Bdynamic option... yes
checking assembler for filds and fists mnemonics... yes
checking assembler for cmov syntax... no
checking assembler for GOTOFF in data... yes
checking assembler for dwarf2 debug_line support... yes
checking assembler for buggy dwarf2 .file directive... no
checking assembler for --gdwarf2 option... yes
checking assembler for --gstabs option... yes

These same COMDAT messages are present in the pointyhat build logs at:

  http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/errorlogs/i386-4-latest-logs/gcc-4.0.0_20050319.log.bz2

Can these messages be safely ignored?  It continues to build and
install seemingly okay.  If any more information is needed, just say
the word!

Thanks,

Randy