mail/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin vs mail/postgrey

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Mon Sep 27 06:53:39 PDT 2004

On Sep 25, 2004, at 8:15 PM, Edwin Groothuis wrote:

> If you're running spam assassin in combination with a real mail
> server (i.e. not only using it after you've popped mail from your
> ISP), have a look at greylisting with for example mail/postgrey
> (postfix).

I'll second this.  Putting a greylist in action like this has nearly
cut our spam to our abuse@ address to just noise as compared to before
when it was overwhelming.  We can't filter on that address since
legitimate complaints may contain stuff that scores high.

You do have to be very careful with whitelisting certain places or you
could end up with mail you can't deliver.  For example, many sites use
a sender verification call back, and if you defer that, then the
outbound mail doesn't go through to that site.  The next attempt to
deliver it may contact a different server, etc.