HAL/udev/gnome-volume-manager

Jesse van den Kieboom troplosti at orcaweb.cjb.net
Fri Sep 24 10:53:32 PDT 2004

I don't know if this is the right list to post this question, but I'm
posting it here for now.

I think most people are aware of the HAL (hardware abstraction layer)
development currently going on for linux.
(http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/hal). I've worked with it under
Gnu/Debian and it seems to me that it's very promissing. With
applications as gnome-volume-manager and the gnome-device-manager the
freebsd desktop would in my opinion be a step further towards a more
user friendly desktop.

I don't know that much about the whole development and I don't know if
it is hard to implement under freebsd, but I think it is worth it (if
it's possible).

I would just like to suggest the benefits it could give to FreeBSD.

Jesse van den Kieboom