portupgrade bus error

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Sep 14 12:58:04 PDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 02:49:46PM -0400, adstro at stny.rr.com wrote:

> I had been getting the bus error when running portupgrade.  I did
> poking around and found a solution on a FreeBSD mailing list.  The
> solution was to "setenv PORTS_DBDRIVER bdb1_hash".  This seems to
> work.  My question, is this the best solution to use for the time
> being?

I think so.  The bug is in the Berkeley DB v 1.65 btree code in the
base system -- the BDB v1.65 *hash* implementation is not affected.
About the only downside is that the various portsdb or portupgrade
operations might take a few milliseconds longer.  There have been
three or so patches of various degrees of efficacy put up for testing
on freebsd-current at ... by Jun Kuriyama (the latest being a port of
what the netbsd folks did to fix this problem, which is probably going
to do the trick).  Chances are this is going to be fixed in 6-CURRENT
fairly soon, and MFC'd to RELENG_5, RELENG_4 and maybe even
RELENG_4_10 within a few days of that.  Once you've updated to a
patched base system, you can revert to normal operation simply by not
setting that environment variable any more.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way