Static php4-openssl extension needed was: Missing SSL support in core php4

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Tue Sep 7 23:00:57 PDT 2004

Hi Joerg,

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 07:54:55AM +0200, Joerg Pulz wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 08:15:40PM +0200, Michael Ranner wrote:
> > > ------------
> > > fsockopen() does not support SSL/TLS with shared OpenSSL extension. PHP
> > > 4.3.8 build from FreeBSD Ports with shared extenstions. Extension is
> > > loaded according phpinfo(). Squirrelmail and other applications cannot
> > > use fsockopen() with tls. I need to compile PHP4 with the static
> > > OpenSSL extension.
> >
> > I just ran into this exact same problem. What did you do to solve this?
> > I'm considering adding --with-openssl=${OPENSSLBASE} to the port.
> > Does this work? Thanks for any advice.
>
> the same problem here for me.
> attached is a small diff for lang/php4/Makefile.
> run 'make config' in lang/php4-extensions and make sure that the OPENSSL
> point is deselected/unchecked or if php4-openssl-... is already installed
> please deinstall it to avoid conflicts.

Thanks for the patch. I tried patching the port myself last night, and it
worked with --with-openssl=/usr but your patch is cleaner. I figured the
conflicting php4-openssl part out myself, by trial and error (crashing
httpd's aren't any fun).

> it works for me.

For me too.

> maybe it's a good idea to remove the OPENSSL option from
> lang/php4-extensions and build lang/php4 everytime with openssl or make it
> an option there.

I totally agree.

--Stijn

--
Q: Why is Batman better than Bill Gates?