portsdb and ruby bug on 4-STABLE

Mike Edenfield kutulu at kutulu.org
Tue Sep 7 16:46:15 PDT 2004

Michael Nottebrock wrote:

> A better workaround is this:
>
> 1.) Install the databases/ruby-bdb port.
>
> 2.) Set an environment variable PORTS_DBDRIVER to bdb-btree (or bdb_hash)
>
> This will change the portsdb's database backend from the libc-builtin bdb1 to
> a later berkeley db (you can set which one via the WITH_BDB_VER switch in the
> ruby-bdb port).
>
> You can also change the driver for pkgdb by setting PKG_DBDRIVER.

IMO, this is the best solution so far.  So I would like to
mention that the easiest way to do this would be to add the
following lines to your /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf:

ENV['PORTS_DBDRIVER'] = 'bdb_btree'
ENV['PKG_DBDRIVER'] = 'bdb_btree'

This way, all of the package tools will always see the
replacement driver, regardless of the state of the
environment when you run them :)

--Mike