Maintaing a seprate build machine for ports

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Sat May 29 10:49:41 PDT 2004

Hello,

I plan on setting up a seprate ports build machine in order to build ports and
resolve any issues (like dependencies, broken master sites, etc) before
rolling a new set of ports out onto the 'live' machine.

What I plan on doing is using 'make package-recursive' on all wanted ports,
followed by a 'portupgrade -arPP' on the live machine. Unfortunately this has
some issues. In particular I will loose the ability to use pkgtools.conf to
maintain per-package compilation options automatically, and I believe it will
be difficult to make sure exactly the right ports are built because of the
non-obvious (sometimes) difference between installed package names and the
ports that built them.

So I have two questions:

* I want to perform the builds separately from maintainng the used ports on
the machine used for the build. Is there a better way of doing this than
setting up a full chroot? PREFIX is the first step, but there is also the
issue of using a separate package database and such.

* In general, is there a better / more supported / more time tested way of
doing this?

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org