RFC: Utilizing EXAMPLESDIR

Florent Thoumie flz at xbsd.org
Sat May 29 12:57:38 PDT 2004

Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> On Saturday 29 May 2004 19:47, Hideyuki KURASHINA wrote:
>
>>I think following structure is better to improve visibility:
>>
>>  configuration file        -> ${PREFIX}/etc
>>  sample configuration file -> ${PREFIX}/share/examples/${PORTNAME}
>>
>>Is there any reason why we do not utilize EXAMPLESDIR yet in some cases?
>>
>>Comments or suggestions are welcome.
>

> As a simple user, I found this to be a great idea...
> My /usr/local is all messy with .sample, .dist.... files.
>
> Nice idea, I hope it could be the default for configuration files examples.

	There are pros and cons using EXAMPLESDIR as the configuration example
	files directory. This is a maintainer choice, unless there's an explicit
	note about that in the Porter's Handbook.

	Personally, I install sample configuration file in ${PREFIX}/etc and
	${EXAMPLESDIR} for sample programs using a shared library.

--
Florent Thoumie                        Epita SRS Promo 2005
web  : http://xbsd.org/~flz            work : (33 1) xxxxxxxx